”A Wall to Dream” or “a Dream Wall” with Berger Paints
I am currently working on a project that is modern yet sustainable in decor. Since it is primarily white, the challenge is to make sure the interiors are timeless yet trendy. As a designer, I place high importance on the surface finishes especially the walls as it covers a large part of one’s vision. I also believe that if the walls are interesting, then it becomes the focal point of the space and this helps in achieving the right decor style. Walls are also considered as an investment as it is not changed yearly. Therefore, a great level of care and time should be spent on making the right decision.
For an all-white scheme, creating textures is very important and the walls are the starting point. While my mind was leaning towards paint, my clients were keen on Wallpapers. As a designer, it is my job to give what the client desires. However, I decided to do some research on this to understand how a client thinks at this point. My research was based on two important points;
The first one was the usage. I wanted to understand the real purpose of a decorated wall in any space. Most of the respondents clearly stated that they were choosing to treat the walls with paints or wallpapers just because it was the current trend and most of their friends have done it too. Others said that it was an easy way to blend in the aesthetics of the house and make it seem more harmonious. Interesting answer I would say. But what caught my attention was that a significant portion of the respondents expressed that it is a space for them to dream. ”A Wall to Dream” or “a Dream wall”. Take it however you want. This was the most interesting answer for me. This is enlightening. With the busy world surrounding us, people have forgotten ways to relax and dream and if I can help them achieve their dream wall. I will consider myself successful.
The second question is the choice between wallpapers and paint finishes. To my utter surprise, my survey revealed that most people choose wallpapers because it is a status symbol. Here again, a significant few said they choose paint effect because of its durability and cost. Yes, very practical indeed especially with small children who are often tempted to peel paper off the wall. Another interesting answer I received is that people choose paint effects as it has a depth to it. It helps them create textures or illusions from their childhood. Now this made me probe further. I have always associated smells to nostalgia. The smell of the sea breeze, the firewood, incense sticks and so on. But paint effects? Really…?
After a long thought, I deciphered that I have always come back from my travels with physical souvenirs. They are just placed on a shelf and forgotten. But some details of the travel never leave my mind. I always wish I could hold on to it for a few more days. Why not re-create this magic on my walls. I can gaze at the wall for hours lost in illusion.
I can help people create their illusions who otherwise spend a lot of their time choosing the right effect for their walls. This is my social responsibility as a designer. So with this in mind, I sought the help of Berger Paints who not only have a large selection of illusions but are also flexible in making small changes to achieve the desired effect. Their Berger Silk Illusions wall paint comes in Silk illusions non metallic Paints as well as Silk Illusions Metallic paints.
With the help of the Berger team, here are a few tips to choose the right illusion for your dream walls.
- How often do you repaint/treat your walls?. This determines the rate at which you can experiment with the walls.
- Are there any windowless walls? If so, these should be chosen to achieve a good coverage
- How many walls of the space/room need transformation?. This will help in transforming the ambience of the entire space.
- Choose the decor style. We can broadly divide the styles as classic, contemporary/modern, country/rustic or dramatic/eclectic.
- Once the style is identified, it is easy to eliminate what is not needed. In other words, it helps in moving our choices to the right direction. This is the most important step as I often come across clients getting totally confused at the range of choices available. A Berger colour consultant or an Interior Stylist can help in choosing the right decor style for your homes and offices.
- Now comes the interesting part. Based on the style, choose either Metallic colours or Non metallic colours. In some cases it could be a combination of both to achieve the right effect.
- If it’s a classic look, then Silk Illusions Marble finish collection is the best choice a it offers a wide variety of textures and colours in three finishes – satin, matt and gloss.
- For a Contemporary/Modern look, choose from a variety of finishes either from Silk Illusions Metallica or Silk Illusions Non Metallica. Its unique slow drying process helps in creating the right illusions or the illusions of one’s choice. The metallic paints are versatile and so besides walls, it is also a perfect option for metal and wood. As a designer, my choice for an Eclectic or a Dramatic look would be the Berger Silk Illusions Metallica.
- The first step would be to choose an option from their catalogues. I can guarantee that the options available will suit most of our needs and requirements. Small changes in the choice of colour may be necessary.
- However, if you are not happy with the available choices and are sure to create a unique one, the Berger Consultants can help you create your unique design.
Here are a few I shortlisted for my home. They are inspirations from my travels;
Last year I travelled to Sydney in Australia and what I liked the most was the Architecture of the Sydney Opera House. I was intrigued by the complicated geometry in the roof. I especially enjoyed looking at the white tiles on the roof that made a beautiful pattern. However hard I tried, I could not capture the complete look in one frame. With the help of Berger, I choose Strings from the Non Metallic section to create this look.
This is from one of my recent travels on a Royal Cruise. I cannot get over the royal feel and the luxury enjoyed on board. To hold on to this magic, I choose to use Radiant Glow from the Metallica Section.
Buddhist temples have a great sense of grandeur as well as glamour. Red always being my favourite colour, I choose Curves from Metallica to create this illusion.
Follow these steps and explore your choices with Berger Silk Illusions Wall Paint collection. Feel free to write to me if you are stuck through the process.